If you have a strong work ethic, great customer service skills, and a desire to positively impact animal welfare, the Baltimore Humane Society encourages you to apply. Experience may be required in some instances, however nothing beats initiative and a willingness to apply your talents!
In addition, we are always looking for interns who would like to get some hands-on experience in areas such as Marketing, Public Relations, Outreach, Development/Fundraising, and animal care.
Adoption Counselor (Part-Time)
Adoption Counselors are responsible for guiding the public through the adoption process, as well as educating on the services BHS provides and offering them assistance on basic animal care in person or over the phone. ACs process applications, complete adoptions, and assist in the surrendering of pets. ACs must be proficient in Microsoft Word, internet research, and able to handle multiple phone lines. This position requires excellent customer service skills both in person and by phone and email; and a willingness to help, educate, and facilitate a positive adoption experience.
Requirements: Age 18+, friendly and positive ‘can-do’ attitude, excellent customer service skills, must have your own transportation, be able to lift at least 25lbs., able to prioritize, multi task, and work independently, and of course, must love animals! Must have prior customer service experience. Any prior animal handling, sheltering, or admin/clerical experience is a plus.
Rewards: You will be part of a fun and fast paced work environment, and every day you are helping our homeless animals find their way to loving forever homes, and helping people find and care for their new best friend!
We offer an optional 401k retirement program. We provide extensive and ongoing enrichment seminars in the field of animal welfare, behavior, and training throughout the year; as well as fun social events during the year.
Starting pay: $10.10 an hour.
Hours: Sundays 9-5:30pm
- Assign project pets to each staff member (when T & B Manager not present)
- Assist staff with morning potty walks
- Check behavior email and phone messages and assist T & B Manager in responding to adopter questions/concerns
- Handle dogs in intake as needed, fit for appropriate harness and inform T & B Manager of any behavioral concerns noted
- Work with T & B Manager to identify dogs and cats with specific behavioral needs and work with these animals regularly
- Conduct dog introductions with approved applicants either with the T & B Manager or another staff member
- Assist with ensuring all animals receive regular enrichment activities with the help of staff and volunteers
- Run play dates/groups with the assistance of staff and approved volunteers
- Assist with Match-Up II assessments and post bite evaluations when needed
- Assist adopters on finding a suitable pet and educate them on shut down periods, acclimations, etc.
- Lead volunteer training classes as needed
Hours: Part time, 14 hours a week, schedule TBD
Baltimore Humane Society
1601 Nicodemus Road
Reisterstown, MD 21136