If you have a strong work ethic, great customer service skills, and a desire to positively impact animal welfare, the Baltimore Humane Society encourages you to apply. Experience may be required in some instances, however nothing beats initiative and a willingness to apply your talents!
In addition, we are always looking for interns who would like to get some hands-on experience in areas such as Marketing, Public Relations, Outreach, Development/Fundraising, and animal care.
The Volunteer Coordinator is responsible for recruitment, screening, orientation, training, and scheduling of volunteers. The Coordinator will provide support to volunteers and BHS staff as it pertains to the organization’s programs.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Researching and writing volunteer policies and procedures.
- Working with other departments to assess what we need and recruiting volunteers to do what is needed at the shelter.
- Generate appropriate volunteering opportunities and role descriptions based on the needs of BHS.
- Ensuring there is appropriate support and training for volunteers.
- Promoting volunteering (internally and externally) through recruitment and publicity strategies.
- Recruiting volunteers and ensuring they are appropriately matched and trained for a position.
- Monitoring, supporting, motivating and accrediting volunteers and their work.
- Celebrating volunteering by nominating volunteers for awards and organizing appreciation events. Select Volunteer of the Month.
- Offering advice and information to volunteers and external organizations through face-to-face, telephone and email contact.
- Organizing profile-raising events to attract new volunteers.
- Attending committees and meetings.
- Keeping up to date with legislation and policy related to volunteering and making any necessary modifications to accommodate changes.
- Working with multiple agencies across different companies/organizations in order to establish good working relationships to influence decisions about volunteering.
- Submit volunteer stats for Board meetings to the Executive Director.
- Maintaining databases and completing any other administrative duties.
- Coordinating Volunteers to go to BHS events, bag preparation, Adoption book updating, and corresponding with volunteers to give specific directions on what needs to be done at the event. Getting appropriate crates together for animals going to events. Recruit and assign volunteers to BHS’ fundraising events.
- Attend and helping to manage larger fundraising events, including those scheduled on weekends and evenings.
- Conduct at least 4 Volunteer Orientations per month.
- Teach volunteer training classes to ensure volunteers receive proper animal handling and are aware of BHS’ protocols and procedures.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 1 year in a Volunteer Coordinator or Management position require
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Excellent customer service and communication skills, able to speak in front of groups of people.
- Ability to multi task and prioritize, in a fast paced work environment.
- Ability to be on-call for volunteer questions, concerns, and emergencies.
- Must be able to work a Tuesday through Saturday schedule with flexibility
- Experience with Microsoft Office (Microsoft Word, Power Point, Excel, Outlook, and Microsoft Publisher) and proficiency with databases strongly preferred.
- Must be able to lift minimum 25 pounds.
- Must be able to work independently and meet required deadlines.
- Firm commitment to the mission and principles of the Baltimore Humane Society.
Hours: Tues-Sat 9-5pm
Salary: $30,000 annually
Benefits: Medical/Dental/Vision plans and paid time off after 60 days of employment
Email resume to email@example.com.
Click here for an employment application. Completed employment applications can be mailed, faxed, or emailed (no walk-ins please!) to:
Baltimore Humane Society
1601 Nicodemus Road
Reisterstown, MD 21136