If you have a strong work ethic, great customer service skills, and a desire to positively impact animal welfare, the Baltimore Humane Society encourages you to apply. Experience may be required in some instances, however nothing beats initiative and a willingness to apply your talents!
Animal Care Techs are responsible for daily cleaning and feeding, as well as handling and training/socialization of our animals. Physical labor involves cleaning kennels and cages, sweeping, mopping, laundry, and dishes. The position also requires assisting the public in choosing their new best friend, and educating them on animal care and welfare and the services that the Baltimore Humane Society provides.
Assign project pets to each staff member (when T & B Manager not present)
Assist staff with morning potty walks
Check behavior email and phone messages and assist T & B Manager in responding to adopter questions/concerns
Handle dogs in intake as needed, fit for appropriate harness and inform T & B Manager of any behavioral concerns noted
Work with T & B Manager to identify dogs and cats with specific behavioral needs and work with these animals regularly
Conduct dog introductions with approved applicants either with the T & B Manager or another staff member
Assist with ensuring all animals receive regular enrichment activities with the help of staff and volunteers
Run play dates/groups with the assistance of staff and approved volunteers
Assist with Match-Up II assessments and post bite evaluations when needed
Assist adopters on finding a suitable pet and educate them on shut down periods, acclimations, etc.
Lead volunteer training classes as needed
Hours: Mon: 11-3pm, Tues/Wed: 9-5pm
Requirements: Age 18+, friendly and positive ‘can-do’ attitude, excellent customer service skills, must have your own transportation, be able to lift at least 25lbs., able to prioritize, multi task, and work independently, and of course, must love animals! Must have prior customer service experience. Any prior animal handling, sheltering, or admin/clerical experience is a plus.
Hours: Fri & Sun 9-5:30
Salary: $10.10 an hour
Community Outreach and Marketing Intern (Summer)
Our community outreach and marketing intern will assist the Baltimore Humane Society with events, event preparation, educational outreach, working with volunteers and marketing through traditional and digital means.
What you’ll do:
- Act as an event liaison.
- Update event listings online.
- Prepare event materials prior to going to offsite events.
- Includes confirming logistics with volunteers, updating the adoption book, and making sure the event bag is packed with appropriate event materials.
- Ideally attend the following events:
- Reisterstown Parade
- JCC Block Party
- Yappy Hours
- Mega Adoption Event(s)
- Regularly attend weekend events.
- Act as a social media liaison.
- Aggregate staff photos and videos for social media channels.
- Take photos and videos of adoptable animals, donors, and groups on an as needed basis.
- Draft content for social media as needed.
- For fall interns: Act as ‘Kids Club’ assistant one Saturday a month. As an assistant you will help prepare for the meeting, assistant with crafts, and take photos for promotional use.
What you need:
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite and Google suite is a must.
- Professional experience with Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Previous internship or class credit a plus.
- Excellent verbal and written skills.
- Must be open and willing to engage with a variety of community members
- Comfortable working with children for short periods of time.
- Comfortable handling animals for a short period of time and willingness to learn humane animal handling practices.
- Experience with design software like photoshop, indesign, publisher, and canva a plus.
- Experience with content creation a plus.
- A reliable mode of transit. We are not located near any bus or rail lines.
What You’ll Gain
- Experience working with community members of all ages.
- The reward of working with animals and animal enthusiasts in an environment focused on animal welfare and humane education
- Marketing and social media experience
- Experience using Customer Relationship Management Software (CRMS) Time Commitment 10-15 hours a week. Candidates must pass a criminal background check and sign a waiver and release of liability. Join us! Send a cover letter and resume and any portfolio links to Msweeney@bmorehumane.org.
This internship is unpaid. Course credit can be
Our intern is expected to commit to 10-20 hours per week for 8 weeks. Scheduling is flexible but will be coordinated in advance. Most of the work will be done on site. However there are times the intern will be expected to attend an offsite event.
Click here for an employment application. Completed employment applications can be mailed, faxed, or emailed (no walk-ins please!) to:
Baltimore Humane Society
1601 Nicodemus Road
Reisterstown, MD 21136